Thursday, August 3

HTML debug

My blog had some serious errors. Anoop told me he is seeing two entries mixed. I tried at home - no issues. Tried in office - no issues. Thought either Anoop was tired when he looked at it or there are some issues with his browser.

But today morning he sends the error report again. And the software engineer in him is awake. He sends a snapshot too as bmp. Yes, I can see that, but not in my machine still. I thought I will send him a snapshot back. No longer an engineer, I pasted the snapshot on my life-n-bread tool - Powerpoint - and was ready to send out. Anoop comes back and tells me the issue is only on IE and not on Firefox. I am using firefox at home and office and hence did not see.

Shame on me. I should have thought about it well. I remember advising my team members on debugging. Believe on anyone who reports an error. Its your responsibility to make sure you replicate [Anne had banned the term bug reproduction - she says software bugs do not reproduce], find fix, demonstrate that it does not manifest any longer. And there was a nice story about the car that didn't start after a vanilla icecream that I circulated.

That made my inner self wakeup. Hey, I need to fix it. I tried to dig up some of the html tags that I had used earlier days, when I built my first Geocities homepage (this one died a long back, but the 1999 entries in this blog come from that page. And many in the Petals I Picked blog too) and when I was passively involved in the earlier version of Alislam homepage etc. I went to the edit page, looked into html code..... deleted some scripts (I dont understand what those script tags had to do on my simple text blog) and now its back in good shape.

To make sure I dont mess up again, this entry done through IE.

Thanks Anoop!

No comments: