Monday, August 7

6 feet only

Do you remember the story we studied in school - of the generous king?

[Well, Irene might be wondering how come one study a story. Well, in our childhood, we used to study these stories. Write exams. Annotations. Essays. You are lucky to read many stories in school...]

Well, this king was so generous and he used to give people anything they ask. His subjects knew they will get whatever they want whenever they want it. So the kingdom was living happily. There comes a new greedy man - not sure if he was a new MBA graduate with clear career goals etc. - who learns about this king. He meets the king and asks for some land.

How much do you need?
Whatever I could measure up in one day.
Granted

The man started running and he ran till the dusk as people saw him. The next morning king sent his people to find him. Far away in the land, the man was lying dead. With his strong determination and his aspirations which led him running through the dark, tired of the exertion, he succumbed to death. Kings men comes back with the body. They ask the king to grant some land to bury him.

How much do you need?
6 feet.
Granted

This is what we all want at the end of the day. I am exerting too much while others are sleeping. I call it my determination to seek aspirations in life. And I end up gaining what - just what my height dictates. Less than 6 ft.

I always envy the marunnu kada (ayurveda medical shop) owner at my village. He comes to his shop everytime at a fixed time. He closes at a fixed time. Do not ask him about google and 2G and 3G. He does not know. Well, he does not care. Why he should? He knows he will get the 6 feet when he want that. Whats my guarantee about my 6 feet!

Stop running. Walk slowly. I am not going to raze down the mountains nor fill up the seas. I am not going to measure up the whole world. Nor do I need that.

2 comments:

Anoop G said...

Good thoughts!

The book "First things First" say we should run based on the "compass" (direction, vision) rather than "clock"

Anyway now i have to fix a bug.., then i will think about all these.. atleast one bug!

Muhammad Riyaz said...

Ok Anoop

I will wait for more of your thoughts on this. Compass vs Clock. I would expect your next blog entry on this topic!