Friday, July 14

Varicose Vein


Varicose veins are veins on the leg which are large, twisted, and ropelike, and can cause pain, swelling, or itching.

Varicose veins result due to insufficiency of the valves in the communicating veins. These are veins which link the superficial and deep veins of the lower limb. Normally, blood flows from the superficial to the deep veins, facilitating return of blood to the heart. However, when the valve becomes defective, blood is forced into the superficial veins by the action of the muscle pump (which normally aids return of blood to the heart by compressing the deep veins).


So the doctor tells me not to sit for long time (boy, good reason to move around and take frequent coffee breaks in office) and to take long walks. So from now I plan to change my daily commute to bus. Makes me walk 10 min extra to office.

But, I might be late from office and too tired to walk till the bus stop. Or I might be early from office and might find too hot to walk.

May be I will soon develop a "bus" version of the Japanese art of sleeping-till-my-stop that I succesfully practise in train these days. Till then, I might be able to find some time to read and reflect.

3 comments:

Anoop G said...

wishing you early recovery!!

Anoop G said...

no new bus stories ?!

Muhammad Riyaz said...

bus just started. But so far only one up and two down trips...

and no reading started yet. Some Japanese refreshers only...