Sunday, October 19

Time to Tokyo

Time to Tokyo was 13.5 hrs when we started. When the altitude as zero.

I did not look at the screen for a long time. I had bought a Paulo Coelho novel - the Zahir - and was immersed in that.

I always go for an aisle seat on my flights. This time I could not get one. So I was stranded on a window seat. The only way to get out was to open the window and feel that I am not sitting down. The view beneath was too good to miss. A vast vast land of pure white snow. Looks like some small hills and valleys - but all white snow. Nowhere could I see a trace of life. Looked up the screen again.

Time to Tokyo: xx hrs
Altitude: 30000 feet

We are flying over Alaska. Alaska is now a fame thanks to the pageant VP candidate Sarah Palin. By the way, just checked Alaska on Google Maps Satellite map. Man, its so gorgeous! Much much more than Sarah Palin. Reminded me of the old Bombay Dyeing advertisement - a model clad in a designer bed sheet. Have a look today - around Anchorage.

I did not know Alaska was so much of ice. To me it looked like my mind. It has been so frozen for a long time. No reading, no writing. I tried hard to start jotting down at least a couple. I failed. The frozen mind stays solid. I say I am busy. Yes, I am. Doing what? What if my body and brain does a hundred push ups but my mind does not move? What I call so busy are like the small streams that flow on top of the snow. The speed of the stream just shows its ignorance. As if it is going to move the entire snow.

I want to read more and more. Today's pick was really good. Paulo Coehlo is such an inspired author. I am not qualified to understand even 10% of what he wrote. But that small percentage is good enough to do some mowing on the snow. A constant mowing is what is needed. I want the ability to mow when I think it need to be.

Ability - that's the key. Freedom is the ability to be free when you want to. For a short interval. Freedom to choose between different masters. To decide on the kind of slavery. Paulo Coelho sets out his journey to seek knowledge. What is knowledge? What do we learn in school. Mathematics - there is no knowledge. We only learn a way to solve a problem. Problems to be solved in pursuit of knowledge. Science says how things work. Basic need-to-knows when you want to learn something more. The ability to learn more. History is how mankind learned to learn. To know the footsteps that took us so far. Trace back to trails just to know how to know.

What is knowledge? Back to the Zahir..

No comments: